Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Freestylin'!



This was something that caught my eye because first off, I love green apples, and it was like a pie but not. :) It's called a Freestyle Apple Tart, I'm assuming that's because it doesn't have the traditional tart base. You will need:






1 ready to use refrigerated pie crust



4 oz cream cheese, softened



3 (1 1/2 lb) granny smith apples, thinly sliced



1/4 cup sugar



2 Tbsp flour



1 tsp cinnamon sugar



1 cup thawed Cool Whip






1. Heat oven to 450. Line a 9-inch pie plate with crust. Carefully spread cream cheese in 6-inch circle in center.



2. Toss apples with sugar and flour; spoon over cream cheese



3. Fold crust partially over apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake 25 min, covering loosely with foil for last 5 minutes. Cool. Serve with whipped topping. Refrigerate leftovers.






So where to begin? Of course, obviously, this is an EASY recipe. There's really very little actual work involved so already it's getting a thumbs up from me! I think I misjudged the amount of apples I really needed (I went by the weight instead of quantity) and felt like my apples were just a huge mound, because then the pie crust wouldn't really fold up over them. Also, the apples on top then got a little more done than the other apples because they were so much higher and not protected by the crust. I also don't like whipped cream so I didn't add that at the end. I think I would prefer a vanilla or cinnamon ice cream instead. I will definitely make this again, but go a little lower on the number of apples I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment