Sunday, November 4, 2012

Southwest Flank Steak with Smoky Corn Salad

So I'm back! It's been a lonnnnng time since I've posted on here but I'm back.  I opened a recipe exchange on Facebook (find me - This Ain't Your Momma's Recipe Exchange) where I've posted most of my recipes but decided I would like to get back to the blogging.  I decided to try something new (just imagine that!) last night and went with a Southwest Flank Steak and Smoky Corn Salad.  I found these recipes in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine this month.
 

Let's start with the Flank Steak.  Flank Steak is often also called a London Broil.  I was able to find mine at Wal-Mart but I did have to search a little bit for it and eventually found it in the premium beef section.  This was a suprisingly quick recipe - only about 20 minutes start to finish.  I did use the broiler method vs the grilling since I don't currently own a grill aside from my George Foreman and it's not big enough for a piece of meat this size.  Here's what you need:

  • 3 Tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 3 Tbsp chili powder
  • 4 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 beef flank steak (1 1/2 pounds)

Start by combining everything but the steak in a small bowl.  If you are using a grill, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; use tongs to lightly coat the grill rack with the moistened paper towel.  If you are using a broiler, lightly oil or spray the grill pan with cooking spray.  Grill steak, covered, over medium heat OR broil 4 inches from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until steak reaches desired doneness (for medium rare, a thermometer should read 145 degrees; medium 160; and well done 170).  Remove from grill or oven and let stand for 5-10 minutes.  To serve, thinly slice across the grain. 

I really liked that the only thing I had to buy for this recipe was the steak - I had all the seasonings on hand and they are pretty common items, so most kitchens would have these ingredients.  The flavor on the steak was good - it was slightly smoky with a bit of spice.  I was afraid it would be really spicy with the chili powder and the cayenne pepper but it was actually very nice.  I cooked mine for 8 minutes on each side and I did find that it was still very rare in the middle but the edges were a little tough so in some ways, I think the grill possibly would have been better for this recipe.


For the Smoky Corn Salad

This was also a quick recipe - only about 10-15 minutes start to finish.  I used frozen corn to begin with, and I used Gourmet Gardens Cilantro Herb Blend - it's a cilantro paste that you use even amounts of for cooking but it saves cooking time.  It's located in my Wal-Mart by the fresh herbs.  I had a little trouble finding the ground chipotle pepper but finally found some by McCormick's Gourmet Collection.  It was a little pricy in my opinion but something I'm looking forward to experimenting with in the future.

  • 4 cups fresh or frozen corn
  • 2 Tbsp lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
  • 2 large sweet red peppers, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced

In a large heavy skillet coated with cooking spray, saute corn until lightly browned.  Transfer to a serving bowl.  Stir in lime juice, salt and chipotle pepper.  Cool for 5 minutes.  Stir in red peppers and cilantro. Serve immediately. 

I really felt like this recipe was overwhelmed by the cilantro, so I think if I make it again, I will back off the cilantro and add more chipotle pepper.  I really couldn't taste the chipotle in it at all.  The corn was slightly mushy so I think I would probably recommend the fresh instead of frozen. It especially seemed that way compared to the crunch of the red peppers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment