Sunday, January 23, 2011

Greek Chicken Pitas with Fire Roasted Avocado Toppers


Well this was a bit of a change for me: I've never really made something like this before but it turned out pretty nicely!


This is a two part recipe - First is the pita part and then the side I served with it. I felt like the use of the Crock Pot was not really necessary for the chicken... You could easily have sauteed the onions, peppers, chicken and seasoning up on the stovetop to save time. For my tastes, when I make this in the future, I will probably swap out regular black olives for the kalamata. They were just a little too wine-y for me. I loved the cool crisp cucumbers added to the pitas though - they, along with the roma tomatoes helped lighten up the pita even more and make it feel more rounded out, instead of just chicken and onions. I have to say, I was a little skeptical of this recipe and as I've said, had to make some adjustments. I also felt that 1/2 pita filled was enough of a serving for me, but the recipe shows 2 pita halves as a serving. As for the side - WOW. I LOVED this recipe! It didn't make a ton, so it was nice for me and the one other person I was serving. I didn't particularly care for the crackers, but together they were good. I would probably substitute Wheat Thins or maybe even a Ritz cracker the next time. This would also make a great dip with tortilla chips.


Greek Chicken Pitas with Creamy Mustard Sauce:


Filling:

1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into 1/2 inch strips

1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges (I used a yellow onion, but I would imagine a red one would be nice too.)

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I actually ended up using about 1 1/2 Tsbp)

2 tsp dried Greek seasoning (I could not find any of this at the store, so I mixed some lemon pepper seasoning, black pepper, oregano and rosemary to make my own seasoning)

1/4 tsp salt


Sauce:

1/4 cup plain fat free yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1 Tbsp mustard (I used Dijon)

1/4 tsp salt


4 Pita rounds

1/2 crumbled Feta cheese

Optional toppings: Sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, kalamata olives


1. Coat Crock Pot with nonstick cooking spray. (Again, I skip this by using a Reynolds Slow Cooker Liner) Place bell pepper and onion in bottom. Add chicken and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle evenly with seasoning and salt. Cover; cook on HIGH 1 3/4 hours or until chicken is no longer pink in center. (Veggies should be crisp-tender)


2. Remove chicken and slice. Remove vegetables using slotted spoon.


3. Prepare sauce: Combine yogurt, mayo, mustard and salt in small bowl. Whisk until smooth.


4. Warm pitas according to package instructions. Cut in half and fill pitas with chicken, sauce, vegetables, and feta. Top as desired. (I used cucumbers, roma tomatoes and kalamata olives.)


Makes 4 servings.


FOR THE SIDE:


Fire Roasted Avocado Toppers:


1/4 cup Light mayo

1/4 Tbsp olive oil

1 avocado, chopped

8 cherry tomatoes, chopped

1 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro

1 Tbsp fresh lime juice (I used the lime juice in a bottle and it worked just fine)

Triscuit Fire Roasted Tomato and Olive Oil crackers


Super Easy: Combine everything except crackers. Top crackers with mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment