Monday, January 24, 2011

Mexican Chicken Soup


Well tonight I really wasn't in the mood to do a whole - rough day in general so I just decided to use some things I had on hand instead of messing with a specific recipe. What I ended up was REALLY tasty and really hit the spot on a cold day that was just pretty much a downer all around. I used a can of chicken broth and a can of diced tomatoes and started by putting those in a saucepot with some garlic salt and onion powder. In a skillet, I used a quarter of a white onion, sliced, some olive oil and minced garlic, along with a little lemon juice and crushed red pepper. After heating the onion to about translucent, I added a can of chicken breast, minus the liquid. Let that cook until the chicken starts to brown a little and meanwhile I added a can of corn to my tomatoes and broth. I then added a little bit of mexican velveeta to add a little bit of spice and creaminess. After the chicken browned up I combined everything in the saucepot. Let that cook for about 10 minutes at a boil and then removed from heat. For toppings I sliced up an avocado, used light mexican blend cheese, fat free sour cream and sliced green onions. I was surprised by how much of a difference the onions made. They really helped spice up the soup, but I wish I'd had some chili powder to add. The soup was a little on the sweet side, I think probably because of the corn. All in all it was really good and I think there's enough here for at least two more meals off it. Random experiment turned out for the good! YAY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment