Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Blog is Back Baby!


Well now that I have officially gotten moved and unpacked - I'm back in the kitchen! :) I've been itching to try to something new for awhile and now that I'm settled, let the new dishes begin!!! Tonight I made Tomato Bacon Pasta which was a new recipe, along with my lemon garlic green beans (see earlier posts for the info on those). I also included a salad but it was a very basic romaine, cherry tomato, a sprinkling on cheese and crouton salad. I love these croutons that I found though - Rothbury Farms' Texas Toast Cheese Garlic Croutons. They have a nice garlicky bite that I just love. So the recipe for dinner tonight is as follows -


4 slices bacon, cut into one inch pieces

1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with roasted garlic and onion, undrained

1 3/4 cups chicken broth

3 cups uncooked bowtie pasta (farfalle)

1/8 tsp pepper


In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion; cook 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until tender.


Stir in tomatoes, broth, uncooked pasta and pepper. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook uncovered 10 -12 minutes, sitrring occasionally, until pasta is tender and mixture is as thick as you like.


**Note- the texture of the pasta will be a bit firmer, because it is cooked in the tomato liquid along with the other ingredients.


So what did I think? I LOVED IT. I literally was tempted to lick my plate. The flavor on this was amazing - hearty and tomatoey.. MMM. The one thing I would change on the flavor would be adding some minced garlic along with the onion to jazz it up a bit. Texture was nice - I do think the 10-12 minutes was not long enough for the pasta to cook, I would have preferred it to be a little more done. I sprinkled with parmesan cheese and really enjoyed this. It made enough for 4 servings I think. Try it for yourself and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment