Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mediterranean Pasta with Crab


This recipe was another experiment for me - I don't really like spinach and the original recipe called for shrimp, which I don't at all. So I decided I would substitute crab meat for the shrimp. I also added a smidge of minced garlic. It was a very tasty dish, although I think using canned crab meat gave it a little bit of a fishy taste, which was hard for me to like since I hate fish. Fresh crab meat might make a difference, I don't know. I've never cooked with fresh crab. Recipe is as follows:


2 1/2 cups farfalle (bowtie pasta) uncooked

1 can (6 oz) lump crab meat

1 package (4 oz) crumbled Feta cheese

3 cups lightly packed fresh spinach (about 3 oz) stems removed

1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 Cup)

1 tsp dried basil leaves

1/2 tsp salt

1 can (2 1/4 oz) sliced ripe black olives, drained

2 Tbsp olive oil.


Heat oven to 350. Spray 13x9 in glass baking dish with cooking spray.

In saucepan or Dutch oven, cook pasta as directed on package adding crab during last 2 minutes of cook time. Cook until pasta is tender. Drain, return to saucepan.

Stir 1/2 cup of the cheese and remaining ingredients except oil into cooked pasta and crab. Pour into baking dish, spread evenly.

Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until hot. sprinkle with oil; toss. Top with remaining cheese.


I also added about 1/2 tsp of minced garlic for a little additional flavor. The original recipe calls for 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and tail shells removed in case you want to make it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment