Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Chicken Tacos!

Surprise, surprise, I cooked with chicken! You could definitely classify me as a chicken fan... I probably cook 60% or more of my meals with chicken.  It's just very versatile and can be cooked just about any way I can imagine.  This time it was Chicken Tacos with Avocado Salsa. 


Here's what you need:
 
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 2 tsp lime juice
  • 8 taco shells, warmed
 
 
In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken.  Add water, chili powder, sugar, onion powder paprika, cumin, oregano, salt and garlic powder.  Cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. 
Meanwhile, (I love the word meanwhile - it always makes me think of a old time-y melodrama... but I digress) in a small bowl, gently combine the avocado, corn, tomatoes and lime juice.  Spoon chicken mixture into taco shells; top with avocado salsa.
 
 
I enjoyed these tacos, but I did feel they would have been better served by a soft taco instead of the regular taco shell.  The chicken was pretty spicy but I really liked it.  It had a tiny bit of sweet in there too which was nice. I think next time I will used ground chipotle pepper instead of the chili powder and see how that turns out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment