Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hang on to them burritos!

Let's face it - these burritos are going to go fast! In a household where leftovers often become forgotten, all 8 servings of these babies were eaten up!  They're pretty simple, very tasty, and can be customized to fit your flavor profile.  Don't like black beans? Use pinto.  Add jalepenos for spice or cumin for smoke.  Lots of possibilities here.  So let's get to it!



1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1/8 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp chopped onion
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp lime juice

Burritos:
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (11 oz) can Mexicorn, drained
1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp salt
8 whole wheat tortillas (8 inch) warmed
cooking spray
salsa, optional

 
In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients.  In a large bowl, combine the chicken, beans, corn, cheese, salt and 1/2 cup of the sour cream mixture.  Spoon 1/2 cup chicken mixture onto each tortilla.  Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.  Spritz both sides with cooking spray.
In a large non stick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook burritos in batches over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  Serve with remaining sour cream mixture and salsa if desired.
 
 
I made a few substitutions on this recipe, mainly because I didn't have everything on hand I needed.  I swapped a can of cooked chicken for the 2 cups of cooked chicken breast and fiesta blend shredded cheese for the reduced fat cheddar.  I also left out the additional salt (actually by accident but you really don't need the salt if you don't want it).  I found it a little difficult to roll up the burritos and get them to stay so I had to fasten them with toothpicks, which still really didn't help so my burritos were not cooked evenly.  Also, 3-4 minutes was too long of a cooking time and several of my burritos scorched (but honestly they were so good I ate them anyway!) I really liked these burritos - they were super easy and quick and I had most things on hand already and was able to substitute for what I was missing.  Get cooking already!

No comments:

Post a Comment